Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sigur Ros, Glasgow Carling Academy, November 6th

I've been a big follower of Sigur Ros ever since I heard 'The Nothing Song' at the end of the muchos disappointing film 'Vanilla Sky'. This then resulted in me buying everything under the sun with 'Sigur Ros' written on it. Costing a small fortune I might add, but worth it of course. I have wanted to see them live for years now and they didn't disappoint. The support band For A Minor Reflection were also great. Once they finished their 3 song set, a drunk/probably high girl beside me shouted "Is that it Jonsi? Have Sigur Ros finished?" to which I replied "Em no, thats just the support band. Jonsi will be on in a minute don't you worry!" She probably doesnt even remember it, but soon after Sigur Ros came on stage. I don't think i've ever been in such a mixed audience - old/young/ned/toff and more importantly such a chilled out audience. No shout outs for requests...no mobile phones being constantly held in front of your face for the entire set....even an apology when someone pushed into me. Looking around the audience I couldnt help but notice so many people just smiling. looking up. their eyes closed. Their music just takes you somewhere.....it has such a profound effect on you its so hard to describe in words. For me it just takes me back to the days at SMO and the many road trips to/from Skye. Good memories of course.

They gave us an excellent mix of the favourites from all of their albums to date and a number of their songs from their latest album worked very well live - Gobbledeegook especially where they had the crowd join in. Im still finding confetti everywhere and it will be months im sure before its all gone. There was also a moment during one of their songs where Jonsi managed to hold a note for what must have been a good 40 seconds, but felt like an hour. I was curious to see how they would achieve their iconic sound as a four piece minus Amiina and the Brass Band...which in hindsight resulted in a more intimate, emotionally charged performance. I was impressed by how the band managed to move around the stage to different instruments mid-song. The lighting was very impressive also. They had their signature balloons hanging from the ceiling that were lit differently for each song and I remember in the encore they had small white ghost effects dancing off them when lit red. Fantastic. They also had some camera's hidden secretly on the front of the stage where they would project images of Jonsi playing his guitar with the bow among other things onto the screen on the back wall. I couldnt think of a better song than Popplagið (Untitled 8) as a send off. So fucking intense.

I will most definitely look to catch the band next time they are in town! Perhaps the Reykjavík gig on Nov 23rd. By car of course...and maybe film the journey this time too - it's to be expected by now, right? Handed over a DVD copy of our yet unfinished 'Long Island' project to their manager John Best as promised. Lets hope that it was actually passed over to the production team and that its not some security guy that now has it playing on his DVD player...the project still isnt quite finished yet, but ill be sure to put it up here in full when it is.

Following soon after the gig, drinks were had of course, out came the Champagne at the Buff....the first two glasses of it were on the floor within seconds - courtesy of some fat chick on E who for some reason felt that, not being able to afford Champagne that buying us Vodka Lemonade's and a horrific/slow motion lap-dance right in our face would be sufficient. Aye maybe for your average joe....or joe the plummer....but not me. Proper Phoenix Nights moment. Followed by a Subway that I dont believe was mine...then Chips and Curry Sauce because....well i have no idea. Lost Angus for an hour aswell and I cant remember why. Woke up this morning hugging the floor, franticly texting Angus soon after asking 1. how the fuck I managed to get home as I couldnt for the life of me remember a thing and 2. that I didnt just dream seeing Sigur Ros and that.....wait a minute....maybe it was a dream.....shit.

Moran taing for such an awe-inspiring performance. Oh and cheers Angus for deciding to give me that spare ticket the night before!


Setlist:

01 svefn g englar
02 ný batterí
03 fljótavik
04 við spilum endalaust
05 hoppípolla
06 með blóðnasir
07 inní mér syngur vitleysingur
08 e-bow
09 sæglópur
10 festival
11 hafsól
12 gobbledigook
---
13 all alright
14 popplagið

Part of this review is now featured on the Sigur Ros site:
http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/tour/2008...

Hope everyone is dandy
R

No comments: